Sunday, November 18, 2012

Just Can't Get Enough

Life is weird.
 
I would say that I’ve had the biggest struggle this year with my purpose. What am I doing here? What should I be doing now? Am I wasting my degree? Where is this all going? 
 
But the ironic thing is, I’ve also had the most frequent moments of clarity.  Where your heart beats inside your ears because you are experiencing something (or even just thinking about something) that affects you so deeply that it’s impossible to ignore.  And that, my friend, is when you know what you ought to do with your life.
 
Today was part chaos, part awesome.  I volunteered at the zoo, like I do most Sundays.  Our program involves a horn and antler display, and it’s always a struggle to present an Indian Elephant tusk or Arabian Oryx horn in Japanese.  There are weeks it’s fun and people are forgiving and though it’s a challenge, I make it through just fine.
 
Then there are days like today.  The people are constant, and overwhelming.  The kids are crazy.  The questions are non-stop.  And after about an hour, my brain is fried and I am just spent.  Other volunteers have to compensate for my lack of language ability, and I’m wondering why I even went for volunteering at a zoo where I can’t communicate well.  
 
What am I doing here?
 
But.  Then.
 
Morikaku san (the most hilarious zoo keeper I’ve ever met, and I can’t even understand him most of the time) told me that Miruku, our friendly female giraffe, had a BABY.  He took us volunteers behind the scenes and showed us Mama and baby, just one month old.  It was captivating, and I was so blessed to be standing that close to a giraffe that young.  She was absolutely fantastic; she took my breath away and made me forget the crappy day I had been having. 
 
It’s amazing that when you’re in your element, you’re just in your element, and nothing can steal your joy. 

1 comment: