Monday, June 11, 2012

The Nearness of Christ


I’m currently reading The Cost of Community by Jamie Arpin-Ricci.  I’m reading it a little differently than I do other books, because I know the author personally.  In the middle of my college years, I took a DTS in Winnipeg, Manitoba, of which Jamie and his wife, Kim, were directors.  My DTS had 6 students, so the staff was more than just DTS staff to us.  They were our mentors, each and every one of them involved so personally in our faith journeys.  

Anyway.  Goes to show how much DTS meant to me.  I had no intention of talking about it that much. 

The book.  Back to the book. 

Jamie does a fantastic job of breaking down the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7), one of the most dissected, crucial, and, I think, misunderstood (and perhaps under-understood?) parts of Jesus’ teachings.  He also outlines St. Francis of Assisi’s life, and his commitment to the Beatitudes and the rest of the sermon.  We all need human example sometimes. 

I fear blogging my reflection on this book.  I find it entirely overwhelming, and in light of my parents arriving in Japan in a mere 2 days, am not sure I can commit.  I also think what I need is hearty reflection with my husband, so get out of here.  

Ok you can stay for this one story that I absolutely must share.  Must.  Not only is it hilarious and caused me to actually LoL on my front patio (not exactly the best thing to do in a Japenese neighborhood in the summer), but painted such a beautiful picture of how obscenely personal Christ can be.  And how much He humbles Himself to be so.  Oi.  Our Lord is breath-taking. 

The story includes Jimmy, a homeless ragamuffin Jamie introduces to us early in the book.  He is young and, unfortunately, homeless, and has a mental illness that is all too real.  Jimmy becomes a close friend of Jamie and his church – the Little Flowers Community.  Do yourself a favor, and read this chunk. 

“Jamie, can I ask you something?” Jimmy was being unusually cautious with me.  Generally we could count on him to say what was on his mind, regardless of what it was or how shocking it might be (like the time he asked if any of us had seen the phantom cat-spirit running through our worship service).  Now, however, he was clearly hesitant, and so received my full attention immediately.  I assured him that he could ask me anything he wanted to, so he cautiously went on. 

“Well, I don’t want to offend you or say anything sacrilegious or anything, but something happened to me.  The other night I was riding the bus trying to get some sleep, so I was lying back with my eyes closed.  Then I had this feeling that someone was standing over me.  I opened my eyes and, umm, well, Jesus was standing over me with his arms spread wide.”  He looked at me, waiting for a response. 

Jimmy was prone to seeing things that weren’t there, but usually they were dark terrors that left him in great fear.  I had never heard him recount something like this.  Clearly, he was not unsettled by this event, so I wanted to hear more.  However, when I asked him what he did next, he blushed and looked away. 

“That’s what I didn’t want you to be offended by or anything.  I mean, I was half asleep so I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful or nothing.  When I saw him standing there I did the first thing that came to mind.  I reached up and tweaked his nipple.  You don’t think I am going to hell for that, do you?” 

Bwahahaha. 

While I was able to hold back the laugh that was desperately trying to get out, I couldn’t suppress my huge grin.  I assured him that I thought Jesus would totally understand, affirming that, indeed, I thought he had experienced a genuine encounter with Christ.  He was clearly relieved and so continued his story.

“I am glad you said that, because I am pretty sure it was really Jesus too.  A couple of nights later, it was getting cold out and my buddy wasn’t home, so I needed to find a place to crash for the night.  I found a corner in a public parking garage where I could wrap up, but it was getting colder and colder.  I remember saying out loud, ‘Oh, God, I could use a blanket!’  Just as I said that, I felt as though a blanket as being pulled over my body, immediately keeping me warm.  No one was there, but I knew right away that it was Jesus.  You know how I knew?  Because after the invisible blanket was in place, I felt a hand slip down to my chest and tweak my nipple!”

For some, this story might seem to treat the person of Jesus with deep irreverence and disrespect.  However, remember that Jimmy sees the world through the cloudy lens of a mental illness that most often leaves him terrified and confused.  Anyone who knows him would immediately recognize that this story stands out in stark contrast to the delusions of vampires and demons that typically haunt him.  Despite his nipple-tweaking tendencies, I have no doubt that Jesus reached through his illness and revealed himself in a beautiful, tangible way.  God repeatedly defies our expectations, humbling himself to meaningfully enter into the brokenness of our lives. 

Wow.  Just wow.  I am so thankful for this story.  Not only that it makes me belly laugh, but in the reality of Christ’s nearness to us. 

Insert plug.  Buy Jamie’s book.  It’s great.  It’s this story and more.  About what it means to live the Sermon on the Mount as if Christ meant it.  And you know what, I’m pretty sure He did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment