Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pen Friends


Today, I held back some serious tears on the steps of the post office.  I should really wait to get home before I read my mail. 

Backstory.  Over a year ago, I stumbled on a Facebook page for a death row inmate.  I knew I couldn’t do much to clear his name (other than sign a petition and pass it on), so I decided to write him.  Little did I know that when they executed him in March, I would actually grieve  someone I never met, but definitely knew. 

After his death, I felt compelled.  Prison is a world that we don’t really understand or see.  Or really even think about.  It’s an interesting realm for films, but that’s really as far as we take it.  So I didn’t even know if there was any sort of database that helped people write letters to those who are incarcerated. 

I was wrong.  All you have to do is Google. 

I searched and searched through dozens of names to pick out 5 that stood out to me.  I was reluctant on one guy, and only God knows why I was so picky, but I wrote him anyway.  Today I got his first response.  And it was the most heartfelt response I’ve had yet.  Heartfelt and heart breaking.  He’s on death row (that right there told me this wouldn’t be easy).  He lives in solitary confinement.  Has for the past 14 years.  He almost mentioned the “hole.”  He spent 8 months there for getting caught with a cell phone. 

Oooooo k. 

On my ride home, I just felt like I was keeping this to myself.  I love writing letters; I love mail!  So this is something that is simple for me.  Maybe you like mail too.  Give it a try, and write someone.  You might be surprised the kind of characters you find. 

[They ask that you refrain if you are under 18, so I ask that you honor that if you’re a young’n!]

No comments:

Post a Comment