Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Out With My Oba-chans

What I love about living in Japan is that you can easily take the "tourist" out of yourself and see things typically unseen by foreign eyes. If you live in a culture that is any sort of hospitable (which Japan is), you'll be taken under someone's wing and shown the world of normalcy. 
 
Yesterday, I went out with a bunch of church ladies. Our church is Protection of the Holy Theotokos Church in Yokohama. There are very few English speakers, but Yuko is one and she loves to bring people together. She took me and four other women from our church, including our Matushka (priest's wife), to a family-owned pâté restaurant. Glorious. 
 
Allow me to introduce Engawa Inn. It's located in Den-enchofu, just south of Tokyo, and is a ritzy part of town. The houses were enormous and classy, but Engawa was anything but swank. I spent half the time confused and struggling with my Japanese, but I still found so much joy sitting around a table of familiar women in a quaint and cozy cafe. I guess the most important things are universal.


Yasai setto, vegetable plate

Banana mousse and kohi (coffee)
 
Pâté plate; oyster and spinach, cream cheese, and liver

No comments:

Post a Comment