Friday, October 5, 2012

Salt & Pepper

I had a great day. 
 
It's been a struggle to find people who become more than acquaintances.  It requires constant work and intention, and you often forget or get tired of trying.  I left a meeting on base today completely drained.  But I went to a lady "first date" at a coffee shop and was filled, to the brim, and refreshed more than I have been in a while.  I don't jive with all Navy wives, but I think I'm on the brink of making another really close friend.  And that's really important. 
 
I am so excited.
 
But unfortunately, I'm down again.  Please do not misunderstand me: I am so blessed to find any friends here.  And I am giddy with anticipation in waiting for these relationships to grow.  Like a six-year-old who returned from her first day of 1st grade with a whole bunch of new friends, I told my husband all about my new buddy, even the tidbits I knew he didn't want to know.  You're sometimes excited beyond the point of helping yourself.
 
I am jazzed.
 
But tonight, in lieu of seeing all my husband with his friends, his familiars and the people he loves to be around, I miss my best friend.  I have no excuse for feeling this way, and no justification.  My best friend will fly here in a week, and that is ... just too wonderful for words.  But I miss her.  I miss living life with her.  I miss going out with her in the way my husband is out with his friends right now.  The friends who I enjoy being around, but am not as familiar with.  The friends I don't have jokes with.  Who are still my acquaintances. 
 
They unintentionally sadden me.   Because what they have with each other?  I have that and more with a person who lives 8,000 miles away.  Who loves me deep enough to take time and money (and energy) to fly here to be with me.  Until then, I shall be sad.  But when she arrives, I expect I'll be full.  Full of that joy again.  Beyond anything I can grasp right now.  Oh when that day comes ...
 
It turns out wanderlust is a double-edged sword.

4 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you mean. You have nothing to be ashamed of, I think it's perfectly healthy to miss people. I find myself in the same boat all the time.. I have friends here who I enjoy hanging out with... but no one yet who really 'gets' me. Just so happens that person is the same for both of us :) She is pretty great, eh? I hope you guys have THE BEST time ever, enjoy every minute of it! I will be thinking of you both and wishing I could be there to enjoy both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and don't worry about spaquin... I got her a "grow a best friend" in Vegas since both of us are away... so she should be good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. Christa, you are so encouraging. Thanks for the support and for relating so well! I actually grew my therapist after I wrote this post because Curt was out with his buds. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay overwhelmed with loving you two right now. so sweet.

    so true. miss you both loads.

    ReplyDelete