Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kinkaku-ji

I have a confession to make. 

Even though we live in Japan, with all its richness of history and tradition, in all the glory of its super old structures and artifacts … my husband and I aren’t much for temples and shrines. 

Gasp!

We’ve seen many.  And can’t deny that they’re fantastic.  They’re stunning and so old and rustic.  But for the most part, you see one and you’ve seen them all. 

A lot of people go to Kyoto in particular to go shrine and temple hopping.  Because there are a gajillion of them there.  Yes, a gajillion.  So when we were planning to go, I kindly wrote off really going to any temples. 

Until I did my research and discovered Kinkaku-ji.

This temple was placed on a pond and covered in gold leaf.  Again, I say gasp!  I knew we had to go.  The path leading around the grounds takes you past the Golden Pavilion, other small scenic ponds, and by an actual tea garden.  As in people sitting in a garden drinking tea.  Not dreadlocked people serving you bubble tea, though I love that too. 

This temple was legit; and certainly unique among a sea of temple after temple.  The atmosphere was relaxed and you can truly find your zen walking around and just letting your eyes feast. 

Ah the joy of deep, rich, unparalleled history.  

2 comments:

  1. I feel like this place is creating an unhealthy, unnatural dissatisfaction with the Tea Garden. get out of there now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't I have two loves? I very much appreciate seeing a tea. garden in the flesh.

    If it makes you feel better, I didn't stop to have tea. I still love my "Tea Garden." Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete