Friday, May 25, 2012

Talkin' with Davy, Who's Still in the Navy

Navy guys talk Navy.  All you need are two sailors out on the town, and what they’ll do is talk Navy.  I’ve seen it at barbecues.  I’ve seen it at every chu hi stand in town.  I’ve even experienced it on double dates.  It was laughable to me at first – you spend 10-14 hours a day on a ship, and when you get to go home, you want to talk about … this?  But that’s just it.  When you spend so much time thinking Navy, doing Navy, working Navy, and so much time underway, there’s not much else to talk about.  I find it amazing that sailors can still talk about their jobs passionately.  If it were me, I would want to run away, divorce work from home, leave my Navy boots at the door.

So I’ve adapted.  To the Navy talk.  I’ve learned quite a few of the acronyms, the lingo, the jargon.  I know what it means when someone says they're going to the head or they like your cover.  I know who BMC is and that WEPS is now CSO, and all of the inspections coming up.  Despite this, I fall behind.  There are always hundreds more acronyms that are foreign to me.  People I’m unfamiliar with.  Processes beyond my understanding.  I would probably understand better if they were speaking Japanese; I might then be able to at least identify the subject matter.  It no longer bothers me, actually.  I know that if we’re out for a drink with 3 other guys from SHILOH wardroom – like we were last night – the talk will be Navy.  When the conversation ends up over my head, I have a chance to relax, sit back a little, and enjoy the atmosphere.  I’ve learned to truly take it for what it is. 

But the thing about sailors is that most of them are very considerate.  Respectful.  And they’re more than Joe Navys.  They have ambitions, and can talk culture, or politics (though I don’t recommend it).  Most like adventure.  Some like poetry.  The majority can talk religion.  They like karaoke and photography.

Last night, midst the deep Navy talk (i.e., I can’t even try to understand), I was quietly enjoying my surroundings and catching glimpses of the movie showing at the bar we were at.  One of the guys took notice.  “SO CARRIE, how’s Africa?”  It completely threw me and everyone else off guard.  And we all laughed at the turn the conversation had taken.  Though I wasn’t irked in the slightest to begin with, it blessed me immensely to be pursued in that way.  I was back in the game, talking the northern circuit of Tanzania and how adventurous Greg needs to go to Southern Uganda to white water raft and bunji jump and Western Uganda to see gorillas.  It filled my soul to be engaged in conversation. 

I very much appreciate the kind of person that joins the Navy.  They are adaptable and flexible.  They’ve learned to carry conversation and know people quickly.  They’ve learned to show respect for people, even when they don’t have respect for certain people.  And they work hard.  It makes for quite the person. 

The civilian sphere should be a little jealous.

2 comments:

  1. did you tell them to stop by happy days when they visit karatu? Because that's a must see :)

    ReplyDelete